This site is mantained by The Milne Bay Tourism Bureau and is dedicated to providing you with up-to-date information on The Canoe Festival.
The 7th National Canoe (Kenu) & Kundu Festival will take place from the 5-7 November 2010 in Alotau,Milne Bay Province,Papua New Guinea.
Milne Bay is known for its peaceful and friendly people and is an upcoming model for eco-tourism in PNG. The province has over 600 islands and is also known for its wide range of traditional canoes which play a significant role in Milne Bay culture.
Being one of the largest maritime provinces in Papua New Guinea, Alotau, (the provincial centre for Milne Bay) was selected by The National Cultural Commission and The PNG Tourism Promotion Authority as the ideal location to host this iconic event that has grown steadily in size and status over the past six years.
The Festival program features an exciting line up of events that includes both onshore and offshore activities to keep you captivated over three days. Expect to see;
- Traditional canoes of all shapes and sizes from within Milne Bay and other provinces of PNG.
- Exhibition Sailing
- Exhibition of paddling techniques
- Traditional Canoe Racing
- Traditional Food Exchange and distribution between ancient trading partners.
- A wide variety of Cultural Performances and activities showcasing many of the traditional costumes and dances rarely seen by outsiders.
- Local string band music which is unique to Milne Bay.
- Various stalls featuring local arts & crafts and local cuisine.
- Corporate Sponsors stalls
- Crazy Raft Race for sponsors
- "Milne Bay Experience"- An evening of authentic Milne Bay entertainment and cuisine.
The Festival is a free public event with number of spectators estimated to be between 15,000 -20,000 per day. Those wanting prime viewing at the jetty or visitors hut will be required to pay a fee to The Canoe Festival Committee.
Visitors need to book flights and accommodation early as some hotels are already fully booked for the 2010 festival.
Keep checking this site for more updates and information regarding the 2010 National Canoe & Kundu Festival. For more information, please contact The Milne Bay Tourism Bureau: email@example.com.
Photos by David Conn